I NEED A MIRACLE.
- JESUS, I NEED A MIRACLE!
- This man had been sick longer than Jesus had been on the earth!
- Some translations use the word "infirmity.”
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23 (NIV)
1 Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins.
2 You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. Ephesians 2:1-2 NLT
In America we have so much compared to the rest of the world.
I heard this the other day go to another country and see how blessed we are in the good old USA!
Compared to the rest of the world – life is pretty easy here. That is why many people live their lives as if they will go on indefinitely!
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:7-10 (NIV)
When your life is going down the tubes so to speak - you find you need something more – you need help – that only Jesus can give.
People may receive you as being righteous and worthy, but it takes the shed blood of Jesus to make the sinner truly worthy of Heaven.
18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 1 Peter 1:18-19 (NIV)
Henry T. Blackaby told this story of - A young couple, who were living together, began attending church. The church was very understanding and sympathetic.
The man in our story needed someone that was sympathetic! And that person is Jesus.
- JESUS IS THE ANSWER. VERSES 6 -9.
This man did not know who Jesus was? All of a sudden Jesus looks at him and says pick up your pallet and walk.
- The problem is that too many sinners are looking for a physical solution to a spiritual problem.
- The sinner needs to be saved!
- That is something that no man can do for himself!
- It takes the power of God, the conviction of the Spirit and the blood of Jesus to accomplish this for the sinner.
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- Ephesians 2:8 (NIV)
It is by grace that you become a child of God. It is His love and grace that takes you out of darkness into His marvelous light to become a child of God.
7 Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir. Galatians 4:7 (NLT)
All that was required on the part of this man is simple, child like faith and obedience to the call of Jesus.
Jesus does the same today – but how many people really respond.
- How many people has He said get out of the gutter and walk with me?
- How many times has He said to someone throw away the drugs and follow me?
- How many times has Jesus said, listen to my words and quit listening to those that are taking you down the wrong path?
- How many times has Jesus said all the wealth in the world won’t get it – but I will?
15 I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” Mark 10:15 (NLT)
Jesus has the power to take any life that is broken and ruined by sin and make it over again.
- He is all-powerful, all-saving and awesome!
- He will lift anyone out of their sin and save them.
Several years ago Terry Bell and I interviewed Dennis Jernigan the writer of the song we have selected this morning for our invitation on KCFO radio.
Jesus saved Dennis Jernigan and that is why he wrote You